The GeoChristian

The Earth. Christianity. They go together.

A different map of Montana

A few weeks ago I commented on the new geologic map of Montana. A beautiful work of art.

Strange Maps has a map called Montana: The gorgeous mosaic:

montana.jpg

This map, from The New Yorker Magazine, is proof from once again that Easterners know nothing about Montana. The “obsessed environmentalists” are really concentrated around Missoula, in the western part of the state, the militias are mostly in the extreme northwest (though their sympathizers are scattered throughout), and a lot of the “Hollywood pseudo-cowboys in need of privacy, open air, and a full-time staff of forty” are down around Bozeman. My hometown, Billings, is right on the border between “Obsessed environmentalists” and “Obsessed anti-environmentalists.” It is all very interesting; Montana often only makes the news when things happen like the arrest of the Unibomber, a convention of white supremacists, or if Ted Turner buys another 100,000 acres of land.

I’m not sure that Montana has more than its share of “UFO buffs” or “Right-wing religious fanatics,” but I’m sure my misconceptions about New York City (slums, druggies and prostitutes, air pollution, honking taxis, left-wing atheist fanatics, Yankees fans, etc…) are just as bad. Perhaps in reality, not all New Yorkers like the Yankees.

Grace and Peace

December 5, 2007 - Posted by | Fun, Maps, Montana

7 Comments »

  1. I can only imagine how they would map my home state of West Virginia, or Iowa!

    Like

    Comment by Glenn Brooke | December 6, 2007

  2. […] 7, 2007 at 11:37 pm (Fun, Maps) A couple days ago I commented (click here) on a map of Montana printed by The New Yorker Magazine. (I got the map from Strange Maps). Those […]

    Like

    Pingback by A Montana Native’s Perception of New York City « The GeoChristian | December 7, 2007

  3. GeoChristian,

    I’ve been to Montana and New York. Your map of New York is by far more accurate than their map Montana.

    For the record, in my small conservative county in California we probably have more people in most of those categories, than are found in the entire State of Montana. Don’t even think about the demographics of some left-wing looney county like Los Angeles.

    I’m glad I discovered your blog.

    Thanks and Blessings.

    Like

    Comment by JL Vaughn | November 11, 2009

  4. As a life-long Montanan, **** *** YOU NARROW MINDED PIECE OF ****! RELIGIOUS DICKS LIKE YOU ARE THE REASON OUR WORLD IS IN THE CONDITION IT IS, COMPLETELY ******. [Edited]

    Like

    Comment by Aaron | December 16, 2010

  5. Aaron:

    Deeply profound.

    Are you saying that if more people were like you (calling people who disagree with you pieces of ****), then the world wouldn’t be completely ******?

    My wife stated her response rather succinctly: “If the world didn’t have any people, it would be a much better place.” Perhaps all of us are part of the problem in some way.

    Like

    Comment by geochristian | December 17, 2010

  6. I’ve traveled in Montana a bit years ago on a hiking trip, and I now live in upstate New York(though have been through city-area some) and your description is accurate for about 95% of it. It really does exemplify the 5% of people having 95%, but of those 5%, many of them give a small portion of their earnings to charity, because they pretend to support a system where that’s not true, even though it’d mean they’d be right in the street with the other 95% of NYers, and not in their multi-million dollar apartments.

    Also, New York smells much worse than any part of Montana, even where the real cowboys are at.

    Like

    Comment by Noodles | January 6, 2011

  7. I can only imagine how they would map my home state of West Virginia…

    Well, most southerners probably would label it as heretic.

    Like

    Comment by Solius Symbiosus | January 6, 2011


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: