Evangelical pastors, the age of the Earth, and human evolution

From Christianity Today — Survey of Evangelical pastors convictions regarding the age of the Earth and human evolution:

Self-identified evangelical pastors on whether the earth is 6,000 years old:

No answer: 13%

Strongly agree : 29%

Somewhat agree: 19%

Somewhat disagree: 12%

Strongly disagree: 27%

Self-identified evangelical pastors on whether God used evolution to create people:

No answer: 3%

Strongly agree: 8%

Somewhat agree: 10%

Somewhat disagree: 9%

Strongly disagree: 70%

Source: LifeWay Research

Grace and Peace

November 14, 2011 - Posted by | Age of the Earth, Apologetics, Christianity, Creation in the Bible, Evolution, Geology, Old-Earth creationism, Origins, Theistic evolution, Young-Earth creationism |

1. I’m guessing from the article that this refers only to the USA
    Believe it or not there are other nations in the world that have evangelical pastors in them and where the polls would be substantially different.

Comment by Sapphire | November 19, 2011

2. Sapphire,

I imagine the numbers would be substantially different. European pastors (with less American YEC influence) would probably be more likely to be accepting of an old Earth. In the rest of the world, there is probably considerable variation.

Comment by geochristian | November 19, 2011

3. I hope those numbers are only for US evangelical pastors. Although, I have to say, I feel that the ‘American YEC influence’ is making its way here to Australia. After all, AiG frontman, Ken Ham is Australian.

Comment by yewnique | November 22, 2011

4. After thinking about this some more, I had to come back and say that those numbers are seriously depressing. :(

Comment by yewnique | November 22, 2011

5. I was actually encouraged by the numbers on the age of the Earth. Only 29% of Evangelical pastors “strongly agree” that the Earth is only 6000 years old. Almost as many (27%) are on the opposite end of the spectrum, saying that they “strongly disagree” with the YEC position that there is only one way to read the opening chapters of Genesis.

It actually looks like a lot of Evangelical pastors have been able to read the Bible for themselves, rather than looking at it only through YEC-colored eyeglasses.

Comment by geochristian | November 22, 2011

6. OK, I guess I’m a glass-is-half-empty sort of person. :D Thanks for helping me see it in a positive light.

Comment by yewnique | November 22, 2011