Ten places to take your kids — Yahoo’s list and mine
From Yahoo Travel: 10 Places to Take Your Kids Before They Grow Up
Here they are:
- The Brooklyn Bridge
- The Pacific Coast Highway
- Niagara Falls
- New Orleans
- Devil’s Tower
- Mount Rushmore & The Crazy Horse Memorial
- Dinosaur Valley (Glen Rose, Texas)
- Gettysburg National Park
- National Air and Space Museum
- The Grand Canyon
My kids have been to Niagara Falls, Devil’s Tower (which is our camping disaster family memory), and Mount Rushmore. I’ve been to the Pacific Coast Highway (my childhood memories include car sickness), New Orleans (a rather adult-oriented city in my mind; why is it on the kids’ list?), and the National Air and Space Museum.
One doesn’t have to Texas to see great dinosaur footprints. We live just a couple miles from Dinosaur Ridge, which is west of Denver.
My thumbs up to taking the kids to Niagara Falls, Devil’s Tower, Mount Rushmore, the National Air and Space Museum, and the Grand Canyon (I’ve never been there).
For what its worth, here is my list of ten great places I’ve taken my kids to, in no particular order:
- Yellowstone National Park — How in the world did this not make the Yahoo list?
- The Eiffel Tower, Paris — I’m sure it beats the Brooklyn Bridge hands down.
- Bucharest, Romania — Doesn’t make most people’s list of top spots, but my children have tons of wonderful memories of spending over five years of their childhoods in Romania.
- Arches and Canyonlands National Parks, Utah — A wonderful family vacation.
- Mountain biking near Red Lodge, Montana, and Reutte, Austria — I wish I could do this with the family a whole lot more often.
- Great nature museums — The Museum of the Rockies in Bozeman, Montana, and the Denver Museum of Nature and Science.
- Great art museums — The Louvre and Musee d’Orsay in Paris, the Alte Pinakothek in Munich, and the St. Louis Art Museum.
- St. Louis, Missouri — Free zoo, free art museum, Missouri Botanical Gardens, St. Louis Cardinals baseball games.
- Beartooth Highway, Montana and Wyoming — The most amazing and scenic highway in America.
- Whitewater rafting, Arkansas River, Colorado — I did this with two of my kids this summer, plus rappelling.
Places we haven’t been that I’d like to take my kids to:
- The Grand Canyon — my dream trip.
- Glacier National Park, Montana — I’ve been there, but the kids haven’t.
- Ekalaka and Miles City, Montana — I had to go there as a kid, why shouldn’t they? And the museum in Ekalaka has a two-headed calf!
Grace and Peace
P.S. The entire family says, “No, not Miles City and Ekalaka!”