Read Obama’s Abortion Extremism, by Robert George.
The press reports that many pro-life people say they will be voting for Obama. The Obama message is that his social programs will reduce the need for abortions. In reality, Obama is the most pro-abortion senator, and the most pro-abortion presidential candidate, we have ever had, and all restrictions on abortion would disappear.
If you consider yourself even somewhat pro-life, read Obama’s Abortion Extremism before casting your ballot. In terms of the rights of the unborn, this election is indeed critical.
Barack Obama is the most extreme pro-abortion candidate ever to seek the office of President of the United States. He is the most extreme pro-abortion member of the United States Senate. Indeed, he is the most extreme pro-abortion legislator ever to serve in either house of the United States Congress.
Yet there are Catholics and Evangelicals-even self-identified pro-life Catholics and Evangelicals – who aggressively promote Obama’s candidacy and even declare him the preferred candidate from the pro-life point of view.
Robert George picks apart the Obama rhetoric about reducing the need for abortions through social programs, and goes through Obama’s statements and voting record, which includes the following:
- Favors federal funding for abortions, which, according to the abortion industry could double the number of abortions in this country. And you and I would be paying for it.
- Favors the Freedom of Choice Act (FOCA), which would sweep away existing restrictions on abortion through all nine months.
- Opposed the ban on full term partial-birth abortions.
- Opposed legislation that would protect children born alive during an abortion. Better to throw them in the trash can, according to Obama. The federal version of this legislation passed the senate unanimously before Obama was in the senate, receiving support from even the most ardent supporters of abortion.
- Obama not only supports embryonic stem cell research on a large scale, he opposed spending on promising non-embryonic research programs that would have removed the ethical problems of using human embryos. “It is as if Obama is opposed to stem-cell research unless it involves killing human embryos.”
- Obama opposes parental consent and notification laws (the school nurse cannot give a child a painkiller, but the girl can get an abortion without parental consent or notification)
Abortion is the most critical moral issue facing us. There are many other important issues, but we cannot take the giant step backwards that an Obama administration would bring.
The Republicans in the past thirty some years have not done all that the pro-life movement has hoped for, but it could have been much worse. An Obama administration, for all its talk about “hope,” would be a disaster for the most helpless ones in our society.
Grace and Peace