With today’s massive earthquake in Chile, and last month’s deadly tremor in Haiti, I have a few questions for your theological pondering:
- Are earthquakes part of God’s good creation, or did they commence with the human fall into sin?
- Are earthquakes good or evil? (or neutral?)
- Is God glorified in any way by earthquakes?
- Are earthquakes part of God’s judgment on sin?
- Will the new Earth have earthquakes?
I have my thoughts on these, but I’d be interested in some comments first.
Father, I pray for those in Chile who are suffering in many ways as a result of today’s earthquake. I pray that those who have lost loved ones would be comforted. I pray that those who are injured would get the necessary medical attention. I pray for rescuers to find those who need rescuing. I pray for a quick restoration of essential services, such as water and electricity. I pray for good leadership from the government at all levels. I pray for rich generosity from many people around the world. And I pray that there would be people who would turn from the uncertain things of this world to the savior, Jesus Christ our Lord. In Jesus’ name, Amen.
Grace and Peace