Jim DiPeso of Republicans for Environmental Protection gives 10 Environmental Issues Republicans Should Champion.
- Climate change
- Energy security
- Clean energy
- Clean air
- Clean water
- Mountaintop removal coal mining
- Land and water conservation fund
- Public lands
- Ocean stewardship
A few thoughts:
- Some of these should be no-brainers, such as clean air, clean water, and ocean stewardship.
- Several of these involve diversification of our energy portfolio to include more low-carbon energy sources. This diversification will be good for the economy, good for the environment, and good for our national security.
- Even if you aren’t sure about climate change, you should acknowledge that it makes sense for us to move away from our current use-it-as-if-it-will-last-forever carbon energy economy. Better to plan now and ease into times of decreasing oil supplies than to have a “wait and see” attitude.
- Some Republicans have a vision for stewardship of the environment, but a good number do not. Sadly, it is often the conservative Christians—heirs of the mandate to tend the garden—who are loudest in their opposition to environmental legislation.
Grace and Peace