How to fight

A pro-life activist has shot an abortionist.

Gun-rights activists (many of whom are conservative Christians) are stockpiling ammunition. Why? What are they going to do with it?

The political and moral battles we are engaged in are of a spiritual nature, and will not be won with guns. The use of violence only links us to terrorism, which is not an effective evangelism technique. Our weapons as Christians are prayer and the Word:

For though we live in the world, we do not wage war as the world does. The weapons we fight with are not the weapons of the world. On the contrary, they have divine power to demolish strongholds. We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ. — 2 Corinthians 10:3-5 NIV

Pray and preach.

Grace and Peace

June 1, 2009 - Posted by | Christianity, Ethics | ,

1. They’re preparing for WWZ, of course!

Comment by WebMonk | June 1, 2009

2. If I had to guess, I would say you just finished a weekend rafting trip with the youth?

Comment by Matt Strid | June 1, 2009

3. Gun-rights activists, which are many these days including non-Christians, are stockpiling ammunition because the Obama Administration has voiced its desire to tighten restrictions on guns.

It is our rights as Americans to defend ourselves. In addition, it is my God given vocation as a husband and friend to protect my wife and neighbor. No better way then a gun. Protecting oneself is not against God’s Word as you seem to suggest since it is my duty to serve my neighbor and protect him.

Furthermore, our weapon spiritually in regards to the Gospel, is the Word of God. That is God’s grace for Christ’s sake. However, political and moral battles are not spiritual battles although the moral law does point us to the spiritual that of Christ’s death for me and you.

Political and moral battles should be fought civilly for the most part. However, there are times when this is not possible like Nazi-Germany, Stalin’s Russia, Civil War, etc. The Civil War (moral issue) was fought violently and was won by guns/force. I am not advocating this, but your remark is false that no moral or political change has come by force. It isn’t desirable, but it has happened. Ultimately, it should come through peaceful means, but there are proper times to pick up arms.

You confuse the Law ( moral law/natural law) and the Gospel. The Law is written on our hearts, so man is without excuse (Romans 2:15) The Law has 3 uses:

1) Curb outward bursts of sin (at issue here)
    2) Show us our sin as a mirror to lead us to Christ
    3) As a guide and rule on how to live holy.

The Gospel gives us eternal life, salvation, and forgiveness of sins. Since we cannot decide to accept the Gospel since we are spiritually dead, but only can receive it by the power of the Holy Ghost it cannot be coerced. So when it comes to proclaiming the Gospel we should never use force.

When it comes to defending our neighbor we may have to use force, for it is better to follow God rather than men (Acts 5:29). Are you suggesting otherwise? Why?

Comment by Trey | June 1, 2009

4. Trey:

Thanks for your comment.

Are gun-rights advocates stockpiling ammunition to protect their families and neighbors (how many bullets do you think you will need for this?) or in anticipation of some other need?

I mostly share your understanding of Law and Gospel, with the three uses of Law that you outlined, except that the curbing of society’s sins is done primarily by the government (Rom 13) not by individuals. Nowhere in the NT are we urged to stockpile weapons to protect ourselves or to overthrow the evil Roman government when it infringes on our inalienable rights.

I am not opposed to gun ownership and responsible use. I am not a pacifist, and understand the need for force in some situations (defense of one’s family, police, military).

I don’t see how stockpiling weapons is “following God rather than men.”

Comment by geochristian | June 2, 2009

5. The two people who I know who are genuinely stockpiling guns and ammo are both doing it because they expect a major governmental collapse with roving gangs soon thereafter. One is a Mormon, and the other is Atheist.

I know the Christian versions are out there too, and I’m not trying to deny that. Just dropping in my two cents.

Comment by WebMonk | June 2, 2009

6. I agree with Trey and with WebMonk’s opening sentence as a possible rationale (not that I am doing this myself, though I am starting to stockpile a few weeks worth of canned food and gallons jugs of water and a few other supplies).

We hope that none of these worst-case scenarios come to pass, but we are being taken down a path we have never trod as a nation and we don’t know what the results might be.

Those homeowners that stayed behind in areas of New Orleans that didn’t flood during Katrina were at the mercy of roving gangs, especially after the police/national guard disarmed the homeowners (not the gangs). Was this a dress rehearsal for future events?

Basically, we just don’t totally trust the government. The Second Amendment is a vital part of our series of checks-and-balances. Our Founding Fathers knew what tyranny was.

Comment by on-the-rocks | June 6, 2009